Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Anger Mis-management

My mind has been very preoccupied lately. So many different parts of my life are flying in as many directions, and I often find it difficult to be "in the moment". This is a dangerous place to be when five small children are constantly running circles around my ankles and asking questions about life and their pursuit of a mid-morning snack.

Needless to say, it hasn't gone very well.

Take today, for instance. All day I was sitting on pins waiting for a call from our loan officer. The appraisal for our hopeful house was supposed to come back today, and it was ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT. The kids would come up, be completely in my face, and I wouldn't even see them there. I would hear my name being called, as if from far far away in a distant Narnia land, only to realize that their nose was touching mine and they were screaming. Bloody, evil screaming.

So I screamed back.

Bloody, evil, Mommy screaming. Ugh.

Case in Point:

While trying to explain a math problem to one of the older boys today, the younger one piped up with the answer. I asked him to wait so that I could finish my sentence. And he kept talking. No pause, nothing...just kept going. As if the words coming out of his mouth had to be expelled before he could breathe. It was infuriating. After shushing him three times to no avail, I lost it. I started to make this terrible noise. Like the one they teach you to do when you're being attacked. Not a high pitch scream, but a guttural, loud, annoying air horn type of sound. One that might just make you pee your pants if you're 6 years old and sitting at the dining room table trying to do your math.



And this was not a singular sensation today. Granted, I didn't pull out my victim scream again...but seriously, every time that I felt crossed or disrespected or ignored or inconvenienced, the volume of my voice would jump. IMMEDIATELY. No questions asked, just yell.

By 4pm I was certain that all was lost. I just knew that the appraisal would come in low and that we would have to walk away from the house we wanted...that my children would grow up knowing only one form of communication defined by its excessive volume, and that they would need therapy in order to survive...I knew that I couldn't do any of this well enough, not school, not child rearing, not wifery, not housekeeping, nothing. And it was only 4pm, so I just couldn't justify that glass of wine.

*sigh*

There are some days that are just like that. ^

Sometimes things are beautiful, and my children listen and I can just feel God working through me to raise my children. Then there are others where it's lost before 8am and the desire to hide in my bathroom behind locked doors is so intense that I can not resist the fleeting respite, and I sit on the pot with my face in my hands and choose to breathe through the din of the banging on the door.

It's on days like today that I am so thankful for tomorrow.



When my 6 year old wakes up tomorrow, he will look at me with fresh eyes. He will see his mama. His strong, beautiful, morning coffee breath mama, and he will curl up in my arms as if there was never an evil bloody screaming match over a math answer. He will reach up and twist my pony tail and tell me he loves me because, like the God that made him, his mercy for me is new every morning.




hallelujah.







3 comments:

  1. Jess,
    I know we don't know each other well, but I know based on the fact that you are reflecting on these things that you are an incredible mama. It is this hard, we love our children fiercely and yet sometimes cannot imagine how we will survive to the next moment. I have two and cannot imagine five, What you are doing is the hardest and most important of all jobs, and doesn't get nearly enough recognition (no paycheck, no big award,) although certainly snuggles and little ones faces help... But thank you for sharing and know you are not alone! Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recalling a time in the car with my kids. Anger was building and I knew the blast was coming. I started the monotone voice with evenly spaced words warning, "I..am..about..to..lose..it..and..I ..am..driving. If..this..(behavior)..does..not..stop..I..am..going..to..scream..and..it..won't..be..pretty"
    Amazingly silence filled the car. Was it because I said things in a controlled tone or was it because they had seen the blast before....and knew.
    I am so glad that we have taught our children about grace... and that we...all of us...are failures and need help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. I sound like a broken record... but... it's moments like these that make me pop all my buttons in pride. God IS good... ALL the time. And it's the perspective of all those tomorrows that remind us of that. Take heart dear one. It took me much much longer to learn that lovely lesson... Love you Chick-e-poo. "Always and forever..."

    ReplyDelete