Wednesday, May 7, 2014

This is my Brain on Blog {a writer's self portrait}




So apparently this "blogger selfie" is making it's rounds in the blogging world. I have been tagged by my wonderful friend, Lydia. I have known her for a little over a year. Though we live in the same town and both attend the same home school co-op, I think I have learned far more about her through her blogging than through actual conversations. Small children running in circles and screaming cut us short every time. But that's okay...she puts her heart right out there in her writing, and I absolutely love what she brings forward with her thoughts. All that, and six kids before her 30th birthday. Amazing.

Okay. Four questions. Ready. Go.

1. What are you working on?

Right now? I'm trying desperately just to keep up with a blog. I have so many grand ideas, like children's books and inspirational books for moms and books to hold up the other books on your shelf. But -to be honest with myself- I can barely keep up with blogging once a week. So, for now, this is as far as it goes. Someday, when I'm no longer teaching all my children how to read books, maybe I could write one. We'll see.

2. What makes your work different from others' work in the same genre?

I'd like to think there's something very distinctive about my writing. But I also realize I'd probably be lying if I tried to sell you my wares on the merit of their uniqueness. Instead I will blame it on my strange combination of personal qualities (an Ohioan, turned Kentucky hillbilly, trained vocalist/conductor, super-stellar wife, mother of the crazy five, homeschooling because she thinks its right -for us, for now, and all that wrapped up in self-deprecating humor). Okay, maybe not that strange, but I certainly feel weird most of the time.



3. Why do you write what you do?

I thought briefly about writing on vampires and other strange things in this blog. Only briefly, mind you, because Edward and Bella have already been done -to the dire sadness of us all. So I left that one alone. Instead I took the advice of Professor Friedrich Bhaer who spoke truth to Jo March when he said: "You must write from life, from the depths of your soul!" (A big shout out to Louisa May Alcott for creating a character that we all wanted to marry. *sigh*) Anyway... I write what I know. Currently I know a heckuvalot about dirty diapers and sibling conflict. A little bit about raising kids so you actually want to keep them, and only a tad bit more about making marriage work for the benefit of both parties. So there's lots of stuff in my blog about falling down and getting back up, about grace and forgiveness and breathing room, and finding joy and contentment in the middle of poop. 'Cause that's where I live.



4. How does your writing process work?

Every night, when the minions go to bed, I tell myself that it is time to write. This is an inspirational lie. Good intentions, bad follow through. Most nights I close the kids doors, change into my Barney purple robe and shuffle downstairs to find the ever-hidden tv remote. If the search is successful, myself and the hubby sit down to at least 22 minutes of childless entertainment. This often also includes the consumption of anything sweet that we can find.

On the rare evening where my brain hasn't atrophied before 9pm, I sit down with purpose and start writing. I keep a thesaurus tab open all the time. That's right, folks. I'm a cheater/bilk/trickster/diddler/grifter. You pick. But I also really love great words and get really geeked out when I can turn a good phrase. I also have 13 drafts sitting in my blog list right now. Ideas come half formed and stay that way for a month or so until one day, they start to unfold into something real.  That's pretty awesome, too. Something out of nothing.

Usually, about 24 hours later I'm satisfied with my work. Then I read it three more times and wonder if I've offended anyone and worry that people will hate my sense of humor or verbosity. I worry about those things. Some people write for themselves. Yes, I do. But no, not really. If I were writing for myself, I would do it in my journal, not on a blog. So I care what you all think, and I worry about that for at least three minutes before I hit the publish button.



Then it starts all over again.

*Now for the real fun*

First I'd love for you to meet my sister.  She's a seasoned blogger that crafts her words perfectly, and is such a joy to keep up with. She has an amazing sense of style -apparent in her clothing choices, decorative ventures and homemade gifts...all of which she includes in her blog. Go! Be crafty! You know you want to. :)

Second, I want you to meet my best friend from high school, Debby. She is a painter, and the mother of three wonderful little people who run around while she paints. I am amazed at her bravery to keep something oil based in the same house with small, curious hands. And yet, she is able to produce wonderful work and her children appear completely normal and awesome with no paint on them, whatsoever. Go figure. Amazed.

1 comment:

  1. Niiiiiice.... Great recs for Sar and Deb. I'm duly impressed sweetie.

    ReplyDelete